Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas - A Special Peril - EHS

When I was a kid, it was a standing joke in my family that by Christmas Eve I would be unwell. The less charitable put it down to youthful excitement and anticipation, though none of us understood why it was a recurring pattern I did not seem to grow out of. That was until a couple of years ago when I had Christmas at my sister’s.

One of the strings of Christmas tree lights had packed up and I offered to fix them, as I had frequently done as a youngster. No sooner had I reached into the tree than I was overcome by an intense feeling of nausea. Like a light bulb going on, for the first time in over 40 years I suddenly realised that it was the electric field from the Christmas lights that was affecting me so significantly. Recollections of Christmas Past suggested what we had all failed to grasp at the time, a time way before anybody in our family understood anything about Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity - EHS. It was electromagnetism that was making me sick and spoiling my Christmas each year.

After Christmas Dinner, we’d all settle down in the sitting room to open presents. It was our job as children to dive under the tree and distribute parcels and this of course further added to my repeated exposure. By the time all the presents were unwrapped, I was typically feeling jaded, ill, perplexed and not very happy.

Between Christmas and New Year, when everyone is playing with their new gizmos, many EHS find it particularly difficult to cope. Often they have no idea what is affecting them. With the excitement of many new things and the season’s festivities, it is easy not to make associations between cause and effect.

Electromagnetic emissions (Electrosmog) from new wireless / mobile devices, electronic toys, even Christmas tree lights may affect some people. If it is unclear why some of your friends and family are unhappy at Christmas-time, could it be because of novel forms of electromagnetic exposure?